Sunday 13 May 2018

A Summer of Festivals

The reason my grin is so cheesy in this picture is because I love nothing better than a festival on a sunshine day. This photo is taken at Covent Garden Puppet Festival where I was sharing my new Slobbit puppets with other puppeteers and puppet lovers.

I had a minute to look around and appreciate the fun and laughter being generated by so many Punch and Judy shows, alongside marionettes and larger walk-around puppets. There really is something very special about puppetry and not just as entertainment. I saw people being stunned by the beauty of the puppet movement and drawn in by personification and good story telling. Some of the traditional Punch and Judy shows were a bit iffy, but the hinted at anarchy and pure silliness can still be appreciated and celebrated as a part of the art form. I know we'll see feminism in poor old Judy one day very soon!

I'm working on a couple of puppet orders at the moment, but as soon as they are done, I'm going to make some more of these Slobbit chaps to take to other festivals this summer. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment